This role will be based out of Calgary or Edmonton field offices.
Reporting to the Field Area Manager, the Commissioning Technologist is responsible to commission and test primary and secondary power equipment in the field which includes maintaining medium to high-voltage substation power delivery equipment such as breakers, switchgears, circuit breakers, relays and transformers. The Commissioning Technologist is also responsible to mentor and educate Apprentices including reading and interpreting blueprints, Risk Management and industry best practices. The Commissioning Technologist also plays a leading role in setting up and operating standard as well as specialized test equipment to diagnose and analyze the performance of power delivery equipment on the job site.
All full-time Field Employees will be provided with the following at the Company’s expense:
- Hard hat
- Fire retardant clothing
- Safety glasses (non-prescription)
- Specialty gloves (i.e. cut gloves, high voltage switching gloves, etc.)
All field employees are required to provide at their own expense:
- CSA approved safety boots
- Leather gloves
Apply with Us Today – email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their keen interest in working for Rising Edge Group. Due to the volume of responses we receive, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Work safely alongside all members of the construction crew
- Acceptance and maintenance testing of electrical equipment
- Installation, commissioning and maintenance of protection and control equipment in medium to high-voltage transmission substations
- Interpret blueprints, analyze test reports and recommend corrective actions.
- Work with high voltage equipment such as Circuit breakers, transformers, switches and control circuits for protection, indication and monitoring systems
- Supervise, mentor and train junior technicians
- Calibrate electronic equipment and instruments, when needed
- Be able to work with various types of manufacturer’s test equipment:
- Omicron secondary test sets
- Winding resistance
- Omicron CPC 100
- CT saturator
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology from an accredited post-secondary institution or Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Field Testing and Commissioning
- Past supervisory experience will be an asset
- Experience in substation would be a major asset, ie. 144kV and 240kV
- Experience with relay testing with various equipment; Omicron, GE, Manta, Meggar
- Familiar with all apparatus found in a HV substation
- Past experience with testing software will be beneficial (Omicron Test Universe, Doble M4000, AcSELerator, Seimens Digsi)
- Competent and comfortable working with computers and spreadsheets.
- Dedicated team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to work within strict deadlines.
- Demonstrate a willingness to work safely and show concern for environmental, health and safety issues in the workplace.
- Must have the ability to work in adverse weather conditions and have a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Able to work comfortably at heights
- Able to work alone or with minimal supervision
- Willing to work out of town and on rotation, i.e. 14 on 7 off work schedule
Commissioning Tool List
- Tool Box
- Standard 1/2 drive socket set – sockets up to 15/16″
- Metric Socket set – up to 21mm
- Metric tape measure
- Wrenches up to 1″ standard and 21mm metric
- Insulated screwdriver set
- Nut driver set
- Screwdriver set
- Crescent wrenches 12″
- Linesmen Pliers
- Channel lock pliers
- Side cutters
- Crimping tool
- Needle nose pliers
- Allen keys up to 1/2″
- Stripping knife
- Mechanical wire strippers
- Vise grips
- Multimeter (Within 3 months)* 50% reimbursed by Rising Edge after 6 months
- Torx bits set
- Center punch
- Metal Files
- Screw Starter
- Driver bits (Robertson, Philips, 5/16′ etc.)
- Drill bits to 3/8″
- Flush Cutters (Electronic)
- Extendable Mirror
- AC/DC Ammeter * 50% reimbursed by the Company after 6 months
- Extendable Magnet
- Hole Knockout Set (Slug Buster)
- Clip on Ammeter